Wednesday 25 August 2010

LSD Magazine Interviews - Twat (issue 5)



With the perfect on the job experience in the hit and run world of the long lens, camped up a tree then making a break for it world of the paparazzi, Twat has brought his ninja skills and trained eye to the public spirited world of street art. Tying up gangsters, multi-nationals, evolution, politics, religion and general piss taking in a stenciled bow of wry subversion, Twat’s work has shone through with a piercing edge since he first hobbled onto the case 3 years ago. Despite his modesty, his stenciling onslaught can be considered some of the most interesting and sociologically lively work on the streets of London town today, brightening up the ever grim days with a cackle and striking at the heart of socio political issues. LSD caught up with him for a chat...


You were a paparazzi photographer for 15 years, tell us a little about the transition from pap to street artist… 

My office was in Old Street so we were always flying around the area. It was about 10 / 12 years ago when I first started taking notice of the art, became a big fan and saw an awful lot come and go over the years. It sort of grew from a hobby more than anything, and I started my own collection by buying prints and original pieces until one day I started doing my own sketches at home, just messing about trying to make stuff up. I had a car accident three and half years ago which put me in hospital for a very long time and during recovery I had a lot of free time on my hands. I used it as a therapy rather than sitting at home moping because I was immobile and couldn’t really do anything. I started doing sketches, making stencils and tried to come up with good solid ideas. I heard about the Can’s Festival in Leake Street and roped my pal into literally carrying me down there after swallowing loads of painkillers. He carried me into the car and drove me down to London. I managed to put a few pieces up that day and at one point, I had the artist Pure Evil holding me up while I was painting. But I needed to do it, I needed to get up and be involved, and from then on, it started taking over my life. It wasn’t the first time I’d been out but it was a defining moment. Walking in there seeing all the stuff that had gone up and a lot of the artists from my personal collection. Faile, Banksy, and D’Face all had fresh works on the walls and I had never really got to see fresh work - yeah, we got tips on new Banksy works but they were never still drying. I’d take a few snaps and flog them to the papers. But this was like pure, instant, I love this…and because I couldn’t move around like I used to, I decided I should change direction in what I was doing with my life.




Paparazzi photographers and street artists have much common so we’re sure it must have felt quite natural in some ways…well apart from not actually having a long lens camera! 

Over the years I’ve sneaked up on some of the most protected people in the world and banged (snapped) them. I’ve got past royal protection squads, large security systems, security personnel on film / tv sets. There’s nothing better than putting on camouflage and sitting in a tree for seven hours - then the moment happens, you hit the trigger and got a photo worth x amount of cash. It’s fun and it’s what I’m there to do. I just loved it, so when I couldn’t move around as much I needed to, I had to find something else although if I’m honest, not being able to run isn’t exactly a good thing for a graffiti writer. So now I have to be much more careful with what I doing. Also I have a little’un so I have to be protective of that as well.


Some of your work could be considered political, did you make an active decision to follow this path? 

Some of my work is political but really, just like anyone else, I like to say what I think and sometimes have a little pop against whatever I’m focused on at the time. I’m happy to have an opportunity to put something substantial up on a wall. I’ve been covering protests for many years and I’ve been pretty much everywhere, including Gaza, so I understand how things can be controlled and managed. Unfortunately in this age we seemed to have lost the ability to have a pop back, we have a police system that is really a military police system and its getting harder and harder to say what you want or put your point across. Especially when it comes down to your political stance on things, I’ve always liked the opportunity to put my point across and if I’m not happy, then I will fight back. We should always be able to say what we want though in saying that there are equally some people that maybe shouldn’t be able to say what they want, so it’s a difficult balance, but at the same time, my opinions also change on a daily basis and I think that’s the best way to be. Information changes so you gotta keep up with it.




READ ENTIRE TWAT INTERVIEW - LSD Magazine Issue 5

 





No comments:

Post a Comment